The Classic Machane Yehuda Tour draws from the abundance of the shuk, allowing participants a taste of the lively atmosphere. The tour winds through the colorful streets of the market and through its history, as the story of the neighborhood and its famed marketplace unfolds up until its modern incarnation. Learn about important Jerusalem families that have lived in the neighborhood throughout the years; of the development of the Machane Yehuda market; and the positive contemporary transformations within it.
During the tour, you will have the chance to stop and taste some of the offerings of the most interesting stands of the market. Speak with the merchants and hear some of the fascinating and fun stories that have become, with time, a part of the unique history of the Machane Yehuda community.
The tour will also include a short excursion to the nearby Nachlaot neighborhood, to tell the story of the neighborhood's furnace and its water pits. A short break will be held under the famous, and still fruitful, “berry tree” from mentioned in Yossi Banai's song (Banai was a top Israeli musician and singer-songwriter).
The tour stops for explanations and tastings at some of the following types of purveyors:
- Israeli olive oil
- Jerusalem-style tahini and halva
- Health drinks and natural healing products
- Chocolates and sweets stands
More details about the tour:
- The tours will be led by experienced Jerusalem guides
- The tour is for private closed groups (no minimum participants), it isn't possible to join a tour
- Tours for large groups are possible, these will be separated to a number of smaller groups according to the size of the initial group
- The tours also visit the beautiful old Nachalaot neighborhood.
- On Fridays, tours will leave until 9:00 am.
- The duration of the tour is approximately 3 hours
Further information, terms and restrictions:
- The tour cost includes third party insurance policy coverage.
- We accept credit card or cash transfer through bank acounts.
- Cancellation terms:
- up to 7 days before the tour date – no cancellation fees shall apply
- 4-7 days before the tour date – cancellation fees at the rate of 50% of the total order shall apply
- up to 4 days before the date of tour – full payment of the total order will be charged.
For further details and information, or to book a tour, please contact us.
If you intend to arrive by yourself, as a couple, or in a smaller group, we recommend that you purchase a Market Bites tasting ticket, to allow you to taste of the market’s finest foods independently, at your own pace, and without being bound to a specific group. For the Market Bites tasting ticket page, click here.
Have fun at the market!