Cooking workshops at the Machane Yehuda market are an amazing experience for groups of people who are interested not only in tastings and touring the market, but also interested in cooking with local and fresh ingredients. The workshops give participants the opportunity to cook native dishes under the tutelage of a local chef, with ingredients purchased fresh at the shuk!
The workshops are all based on the underlying concept of the Machane Yehuda market: the freshest ingredients, accessible to all on a daily basis.
Tasting tour with your own personal chef at the Machane Yehuda market
The workshop will open with a tastings tour at the shuk. A chef will accompany the group throughout the activity. The tour includes focused and professional explanations, as well as tastings from the different stands and stores of Machane Yehuda:
- Tastings of spices, olive oils, and blends of legumes and grains
- Tastings and explanations about a selection of imported cheeses
- Tastings of locally produced halva and organic tahini made of Ethiopian sesame
- Tastings of local pastries and explanations about traditional baking methods
During the workshop participants discuss the seasonally available fruits and vegetables, the offerings at a fishmonger, different parts of meat and how to use each, and useful cooking tips and recommendations. Gather a variety of materials to use in the cooking portion of the workshop.
Cooking workshop with Jerusalem chefs
Small groups will each take charge of one course of menu, devised and supervised by the chef who accompanied the tour of the shuk. The chef will present the recipes and demonstrate how to prepare some of the courses.
At the end of the cooking session all the participants will enjoy a wonderful meal, accompanied by top-quality wine, funny market stories and a great atmosphere, and who knows, you might learn hebrew at the end.
- The cooking workshops will be taught by professional Jerusalem chefs.
- Minimum of participants for a workshop- 10 people.
- Bigger groups can be accommodated by splitting them into smaller groups.
- The workshop is for private closed groups, it isn't possible to join a group.
- The duration of the culinary tour plus the cooking workshop is 5 hours.
- On Fridays the workshops will begin until 9:00.
- The cooking workshop may be booked without the preceding tour as well, and the number of courses and the menu can also be ordered ahead.
Further information, terms and restrictions:
- The tour cost includes third party insurance policy coverage.
- We accept credit card or cash transfer through bank acounts.
- Cancellation terms:
- up to 7 days before the tour date – no cancellation fees shall apply
- 4-7 days before the tour date – cancellation fees at the rate of 50% of the total order shall apply
- up to 4 days before the date of tour – full payment of the total order will be charged.
- Minimum number of partisipants is 10 people. In case you are smaller group you will have to pay the rate for 10 people in order to book the workshop.
- There are no open workshops to join
For further details and information, or to book a tour, please contact us.
If you intend to arrive by yourself, as a couple, or in a smaller group, we recommend that you purchase a Market Bites tasting ticket, to allow you to taste of the market’s finest foods independently, at your own pace, and without being bound to a specific group. For the Market Bites tasting ticket page, click here.
Have fun at the market!